Photo crop (passport)

Welcome to the Information Website about the North West Resorts of Hoylake, West Kirby and Meols on the Wirral Peninsula.

Hoylake was home to the 2006 British Open where Tiger Woods won the 135th British Open Championship at The Royal Liverpool Golf Club on Meols Drive.

These seaside villages are located at the northern tip of the Wirral Peninsula.
Hoylake,West Kirby & Meols are blessed with miles of beaches, promenades, Parks,Bowling Greens, Tennis,Golf, Horse Riding,Windsurfing and Sailing on the salt water Marine Lake and Sand Yachting. On a clear day, one can see the Blackpool Tower on the horizon.
Take a stroll along the promenades and watch the local fishermen at work.

The Wirral area is known as the "Leisure Peninsula" it being surrounded on three sides by water, the Irish Sea, the River Mersey and the River Dee.

The Viking settlers landed their boats here in 902AD and their influence is still evident. Liverpool the European Capital of Culture 2008 is only a twenty minute drive away or 30 minutes by the Mersey Rail Electric Railway.
The Roman city of Chester and the beauty of North Wales being 30 mins drive away.

Click Here For Meols News Blog

This Entire Site is @Copyright 2003 Roy J.Shuttleworth
and as such All Rights Are Reserved (Disclaimer)

West Kirby History

At the time of the Domesday Survey, in 1086, West Kirby belonged to a Robert de Rodelent, to whom it was granted after the Norman conquest. De Rodelent is known to have enjoyed surrounding himself with French courtiers and often made them extensive grants of land. One such grant, which was later to be confirmed by King William in 1081, was the land and church at West Kirby to the Abbey of St. Ebruf in Normandy. Later, both the town and the church were sold to the Abbey of St Werburgs in Chester, subject to an annual rent of 30 UK Pounds.
During the 12th century, the manor was seized by the Earls of Chester and given to the Abbey at Basingwerk in Flintshire, Wales. About the year 1200, however, the monks of St.Werburga claimed their ancient rights and a battletook place within the walls of the church. The monks of Basingwerk were defeated and the Abbot of St. Werburga reclaimed possession. An old mill, which was used as a landmark for mariners wishing to navigate into the River Mersey or intothe (by now, very shallow) was destroyed in a storm in 1839 and was replaced by a sixty foot high column.
This column was erected by the trustees of the Liverpool Docks,by the permission of John Shaw Leigh, Esq, owner of the land, who also gave the stone for its erection, AD 1841, as a beacon for mariners frequenting the Mersey Estuary.
In 1636, William Glegg, built a grammar school on his land at Calday Grange. It was a simple building consisting of a single room and it was demolished in 1861. The Hoylake School was built in 1836 and, by 1861,the Calday school had only six pupils. A new school was built on a larger site by John Shaw Leigh,this is the present Calday Grange Grammar School.

More On The History Of West Kirby
Over a thousand years ago Wirral was invaded by the Norsemen and their leagacy can be read in the local place-names, the -by suffix meaning village in the old Norse tongue; we still use the term by-law today West Kirby was west of Kirby in Walea, the old name for Wallasey.
The focal point of their settlement was the site of St Bridget's Church in the old village, although the oldest remaining part of the building dates back to about 1150, placing it firmly in the Norman period.
The Church has been changed many times over the centuries, the latest restoration being carried out around 1870. Next to the Church is the village school, mainly housed in modern buildings but part of the old schoolrooms are still in daily use. The old building also includes the tiny Charles Dawson Brown Museum. Brown was well known locally as a historian, School Governor and 'Friend of the Poor', having made his money as a cotton broker in Liverpool. He lived at 'Stone Hive' which still stands in Darmond's Green until his death on 4 July 1890.
The Museum contains relics of the Church and the parish and was opened on 22 November 1892.
It has had a chequered history but was restored and re-opened by the Hoylake Historical Society on 24 June 1972 and now forms an important part of the village.
The most important item in the collection, a Viking hogback grave-cover,is now back on display in the Church for all to see. Nearby is the Ring'O'Bells public house, which was rebuilt in 1810 on the site of an older pub of the same name. The cellers are cut into sandstone and extend underneath Village Road. The rock has been shaped to hold the barrels of ale, with a drainage channel below. Apart from the traffic, the lower village has not changed much over the centuries

The growth of modern West Kirby really began in 1886, when the wonder of the age of the steam engine - arrived. The speed of travel offered by the railway meant that it was possible to work in Liverpool during the day but escape to the cleanermore peaceful and healthier surroundings of this part of Wirral to live.
Developers were not slow to realise this, and the place grew out of all recognition. The First Edition of the O.S. plan, drawn in 1871, shows four or five buildings clustered around the corner of Grange Road and Dee Lane. By the time the Second Edition was drawn in 1897, the village layout south of Grange Road was almost exactly as we see it today, and by the turn of the century, just three years later, the shops of the north side were completed.

The population boomed - in 1871 Hoylake and West Kirby together had 2,118 residents; thirty years later this figure had increased five-fold to 10,991. Down on the shoreline the Marine Lake is a major attraction for watersports. This was opened on 21 October 1899, and formerly included an open-air swimming pool. The pool has gone, but the lake itself has been extended to cater for the growing demand.

    Local News 
* Friends of Grange Hill
* Wirrals Champion Team
* Crisis in Meols Park
* Meols Pavilion Improved
* Meols Park Fireworks
  Display on 4th Nov 2012
* Wirral News
* Wirral Globe
* Friends of Meols Park
* Planning Applications
* China Crisis Gig  Hoylake
* Everton Supporters Club
In Hoylake & West Kirby
* Vikings in Meols
Statue Project in the Park